Geiger counter / radiation detector. The drafters are concerned about the possibility of nuclear radiation and contamination.
These are dangerous times. Many nation states have nuclear capabilities. We, the pioneers, recognize and do what we can to mitigate the risks to our survival. Some risks are low and more likely to occur. Others are very important, but less likely.
One might think of the threat and possible reality of a nuclear explosion (or worse). Transfer of nuclear weapons to hostile countries. That’s right. Well, you never know.
We also live in a world partially polluted by nuclear power plants. Although historically very safe, accidents can happen. Moreover, most of these nuclear reactors have a longer life than expected. There is a risk. A power outage accident would put nuclear power plants at risk.
If this is not possible, a nuclear radiation detector (Geiger counter) would be useful. Why? Because the radiation is invisible. You can use the radiation detector to see if you are in danger or not.
I thought I’d make a list of radiation detectors for those who are interested. I spent some time researching. I have compiled the following list for your possible interest.
Functions can vary, and you can take care of them yourself. As far as price goes, I’ve found that the detector itself (the part that actually captures/detects the radiation) makes a big difference in terms of performance (and price). This is related to the sensitivity, accuracy and speed of the measurement. Although cheaper devices are still sufficient to alert you to radiation.
(view of Amzn)
UPDATE: >> New model with dosimeter
The GMC-300E-Plus is one of the most cost-effective nuclear radiation detectors. It is manufactured by GQ Electronics LLC in Seattle, Washington.
– Radiation detection and measurement β- (beta), γ- (gamma) and X-ray
– CPM, µSv/h, mRem/h
– Data port
– Mini-USB port
– PC software.
They also host a real-time radiation map of users broadcasting radiation data from around the world :
Real-time radiation map
>> RADEX RD1503+ with
dosimeter (recent view)
A good nuclear radiation detector for under $200. The RADEX RD1503+, manufactured by Quarta-Rad, is produced in Russia and distributed worldwide, including in the United States, through its US subsidiary.
– Detection and measurement of radiation β- (beta), γ- (gamma) and X-radiation- μSv/h, μRem/h detection range: 0,05~9,99 μSv/h- Single total dose (dosimeter) in addition to real time – Multi-threshold probe with a range of 0,10-0,90 μSv/h.
RD1503+ Product Information
Quarta-Red also has a real-time radiation map of the world:
QuartaRad Radiation map
>> RADEX RD1212
Another radiation detector/geiger counter from Quarta-Rad. RADEX RD1212. It costs a little more than the model above. But it also includes a USB port for a PC and Internet software.
– Detection and measurement of radiation β (beta), γ (gamma) and X-rays- μSv/h- Detection range: 0,05~999,0 μSv/h- PC connection- Fast measuring cycle: only 10 sec.
– Sound alarm
RD1212 Product Information
Mazur Instruments PRM-7000
(View from Amzn)
The company is headquartered in Castle Rock, Colorado. Their radiation detectors are designed and manufactured in the United States. The company enjoys a great reputation in the industry for its quality products.
The PRM-7000 radiation detector is part of their range (7000, 8000, 9000) and is cheaper than the others.
– Radiation detection and measurement β (beta), γ (gamma) and X-ray
– μR/h, μR/h, uSv/h, CPS or CPM
– Detection range: 0.001-500 mR/h (0.01-5000 mSv/h)
– Elapsed time, monitoring of average, minimum and maximum doses
– Detector tube manufactured in the USA, by LND
– Audible alarm
– Data download to PC.
(View from Amzn)
Images SI Inc. (Images Scientific Instruments) began manufacturing their radiation detectors in 1982 in Staten Island, New York.
Your digital Geiger counters are ready to be certified by NRC – which means they are accurate enough to be certified.
– X-ray detection and measurement α-alpha, β (beta), γ (gamma) and
– mR/h, mSv/h, IMR, CPS
– detection range : Resolution 0,001 mR/h / 1000 mR/h; Resolution 0,01 mSv/h – 10 mSv/h
– Each detected radioactive particle generates an audible click
– Graphical software available
– Data output, headphone output
Mazur Instruments PRM-9000
Although expensive compared to smaller models, the Mazur PRM-9000 is one of the best Geiger-top radiation detectors on the market.
– Detection and measurement of radiation α-alpha, β (beta), γ (gamma) and X-rays
– γ/hr, μR/hr, CPS or CPM
– Detection range: 0.001-125 mR/hr (0.01-1,250 mSv/hr)
– Monitoring of elapsed time and average, minimum and maximum dose rates
– Each radioactive particle detected produces an audible click
– Two inch (50.)8 mm) Geiger detector tube – gold standard
– fast response time
– suitable for regulatory testing
– LED, beeper and headphone jack
– internal data logging
– time controlled measurements
– dose rate alarm
– detection of natural radioactive material (NORM)
– battery life 2 years (9V alkaline) 4 years (9V lithium)
– measurements can be downloaded to PC for analysis in CSV
format – PC/Mac USB data exchange
RAD Transport 50 portable personal radiation dosimeter
frequently asked questions
What is the best Geiger counter to buy?
The 6 best Geiger counters of 2021 | MSN Guide : Big brands, magazines…
How long does the Geiger counter last?
The tube life of your Geiger-Müller radiation detector depends on the use of the device, but is usually at least 5 to 8 years.
When would a Geiger counter be useful?
A Geiger counter is a device for detecting and measuring ionising radiation. It is also known as the Geiger-Müller counter (or Geiger-Müller counter) and is widely used in fields such as radiation dosimetry, radiation protection, experimental physics and the nuclear industry.
radex one outdoor,radex 1503,gmc-320 plus manual,radex rd1503+ safety pro,geiger counter professional,high range geiger counter,dp-75 geiger,gq gmc-300e-plus digital geiger counter,atomic bomb mask,Feedback,best geiger counter reddit,radex rd1503+,gamma-scout,the prepper stop,10 can prepper,Privacy settings,How Search works,gc300 geiger counter,digital geiger counter,geiger counter for scrap metal