Thinking of moving to Dubai? Well, the main reason is undoubtedly the high paying jobs that are available here. But what draws many people to this emirate is also the lifestyle that is a great mixture of international and local culture. The weather and the beaches are just a few of the reasons why people decide to live in Dubai. So, what are some of the survival tips for expats considering moving to Dubai?
1. Get your papers in order When you are planning to move to Dubai, one of the first things that you should do is to get your papers in order. This will include your passport and other relevant travel papers. This will not only help facilitate your entry to the country but will also be required when you are checking in at the hotels.
2. Get your immunization checked You should have gotten immunization shots while staying home to avoid catching any contagious diseases. However, if you are traveling to a foreign country then it is mandatory for you to have the immunization shot for twenty days from the date of your arrival. In addition, you should also get your measles, typhoid, hepatitis and Malaria vaccinations done at the same time. If you are traveling to Dubai on your job or for an extended vacation, you should consider getting your vaccinations done at the time of your visit.
3. Get passport Passports are important if you want to leave the country for any purpose. It is much easier to stay here once you have your passport. So if you are planning to apply for a visa, then getting a passport is always recommended.
4. Get your residence permit If you have already obtained residence permit, you can visit certain areas in Dubai which are restricted for expatriates. You can also visit these areas during your free time to enjoy the sights without having to worry about the security.
5. Get a visitor’s card You will be given a visitor’s card when you apply for a work or residence permit. This card can be used by foreign visitors in Dubai. Make sure you have a photo with you when you apply for a new job. This will help the Dubai authorities in determining the credibility of your job and residence permit application.
6. Tax free life insurance You need to buy tax-free life insurance if you are planning to relocate to Dubai. This will help you have financial protection in case any accident happens while you are working. You will not need to pay any tax on this insurance. So it is highly recommended that you buy a tax-free life insurance before you relocate to Dubai. Tax-free policies are usually affordable and it does not attract any legal obligation either.
7. Get a tax free banking account You should open a bank account in Dubai after you acquire your foreign residence. This will help you minimize the tax and social security payment while paying your taxes at home. Your bank account should have a minimum balance. If you have an account balance higher than this, you may be charged some fees. Try to maintain the minimum amount so as to minimize taxes and social security payment.
8. Work while on a contract It is a good idea to work while in your country of origin. This will help you save both time and money. You should always remember to get an employment contract that contains all the details of the company you are working for and the company’s policy on overtime pay. This is very important in case you have to work during a holiday in your home country and you have to depart for work in Dubai.
9. Know the laws of the country It is highly recommended that you learn the laws of the country you are going to. Dubai laws can be different from country to country. So you should be well aware of them. And try to stay as far away as possible from crime and violence area.
These are just some of the things that will help you with your plans to relocate to Dubai. There are many more details and it is best if you start doing your research before hand. Doing research will help you avoid any unpleasant surprises when you finally do leave.