Do you need some simple home defense tips for seniors? Do you want to be able to keep yourself and your family safe from intruders? Are you looking for ways that you can increase your security in your own home? There are many ways that you can keep your family safe. Here are some ideas:
– Always be aware of who is approaching your house and where they are. Many people are not careful about who they let into their home. If you see someone that you do not know entering through an unlocked door, do not open it. It is better to call the police and have them check out the situation. If you are too afraid to do that, keep a close eye on your pets and any small children that live alone.
– Keep your home well lit outside as well as inside. It is easy to become distracted when you are walking to the door or trying to get in. You should always have plenty of lights around the outside of your home. You do not want anyone to wander into your yard while you are not watching them.
– Always have a reliable lock on your doors. It can be very tempting to simply leave the front and back doors unlocked when you are entertaining guests at your home. Many burglars are willing to try their luck in a house that does not have a solid lock on its doors. This is especially true during the holiday season. Criminals love scary, busy times at this time of year and this is one of the easiest times for them to try to break-in.
– Do not keep large, heavy objects such as flower pots near the front door. Many crooks will target homes that are filled with expensive decoration pieces. These crooks will be waiting until you are away from your home before they attempt a burglary.
– Do not keep large break-ins like fireplaces or outside of your home. These are common targets for criminals. You may think that it would be safer to keep them out but criminals know better. They know that you do not always have twenty-four hour security around your home. Criminals are also aware that if you keep too much money in your home, you may not be able to pay off your bills. If you are getting ready to put things up for sale, consider investing in a safe that is not too expensive.
– Install a motion detector light outside of your home. It is a good idea to light up the exterior of your home at night so that it is easy to see. Many people are not cautious enough about the lighting of their home. It is extremely important to have lighting that will detect intruders and alert them to the fact that there is an intruder in the home. Do not wait until it is dark to install any type of lighting system around your home.
– If you use a fake window covering, it may be very effective at keeping someone out. Use the same covering on your doors and windows. This is one of the most overlooked home defense tips out there. Make sure that it is securely mounted on your door and that it can withstand being busted open.
– Check all your windows and doors regularly. It is recommended that you check the inside of your home on a daily basis. You never know when someone could be home. Be sure to double check the locks and other glass inside of your home on a daily basis. If you do not check these areas, you may be surprised to find that they have already been broken into or that someone has been inside while you were not there. If you live alone, be sure to leave your windows unlocked when you are away from home.
– Make sure that you have window coverings such as blinds and curtains in your home. These are great means of cutting off the outside light. When you are shopping for curtains and blinds, be sure that you go for the ones that can easily be cleaned. You want to make sure that your windows are always sealed when you are away from home. Using strong window film is a good way of ensuring this.
– Put stickers on your garage doors. Stickers are a good means of warning other people about your home. If you are someone who tends to leave their doors unlocked, you should be putting stickers on your garage doors. People who see a car with a sticker on it may assume that it is abandoned. There are a number of different home defense tips you can use, but be sure that you are taking them seriously.